Health officials in Arkansas say that they have confirmed a case of rabies in a dog. Details are scant, as they always are in these kinds of reports, but we know the dog was found in Mississippi County. Mississippi county is located in Northeast Arkansas, just south of the Missouri Bootheel. Continue reading Rabid Dog In Arkansas
UPDATE: Connecticut Valley Veterinary Associates has now publicly identified itself as the facility that cared for the bat. The bat was reportedly injured and the person who brought it into the clinic was a homeowner who found the bat in his yard.
Officials are still looking for him.
Original Story: Health officials with Connecticut Department of Public Health say that they are looking for the person who brought a bat to a Marlborough vet clinic on June 23, 2017. The bat, they said, has tested positive for rabies–and that means that anyone who handled the animal should be evaluated for possible rabies exposure. Continue reading Connecticut Health Officials Look For Marlborough Bat Rescuer
Health officials with the New Mexico Department of Health announced last week that they had confirmed 2 new (human) cases of plague, bringing the total count so far this year to 3. Continue reading Plague In New Mexico – 3 Cases Now
Health officials across the country are continuing to sound the alarm about a Salmonella outbreak that is now being blamed not on tainted chicken meat or commercial henhouses but on ordinary, family-kept backyard poultry flocks. Continue reading Officials Continue To Warn About Backyard Poultry & Salmonella
Inspectors with the Hawaii Department of Agriculture say that they have taken custody of a bearded dragon lizard found by homeowners in Waianae. Continue reading Bearded Dragon Captured In Waianae, Hawaii
Health officials in two states are warning of possible rabies exposures related to kittens that were ultimately found to be infected with the virus. Continue reading Rabid Kittens Have Officials In Connecticut, Oklahoma Looking For Possible Victims
The company that last week announced a recall of rawhide dog chews tainted with a non-allowed solvent is now saying that it is expanding its recall of the treats to include private label store brands. Continue reading Rawhide Chews Recall Expanded
The company behind brands like American Beefhide, Digest-Eeze and Healthy Hide has announced a recall of rawhide chew dog treats because the rawhide was produced with a solvent cleaning chemical that is not allowed for use in the production of rawhide dog chews. Continue reading American Beefhide, Digest-Eeze, Healthy Hide Chews Recalled – Cleaning Chemical Found
Animal health experts in Colorado are once again cautioning pet owners to keep their pets (and livestock) protected against rabies. Continue reading Pet Owners Again Cautioned As Rabies Cases Rise In Colorado
South Carolina health officials say that 3 people are undergoing post-exposure care after being potentially exposed to rabies. Continue reading 3 Treated For Possible Rabies After Skunk, Fox Attacks